William Thomas “Tommy” Emmanuel (born 31 May 1955) is an Australian guitarist, songwriter and occasional singer, best known for his complex fingerstyle technique, energetic performances and the use of percussive effects on the guitar.
Although originally a session player in many bands, Emmanuel has carved out his own style as a solo artist in recent years, releasing award winning albums and singles. In the May 2008 and 2010 issues of Guitar Player Magazine, he was named “Best Acoustic Guitarist” in their readers’ poll. In June 2010 Emmanuel was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia.
- How Tommy checks out new guitars
- Why Tommy plays Maton guitars
- A tour of the guitar he’s holding
- His approach to dynamics
- Tommy plays (5:20)
- His story and philosophy of being a solo act
- The inside scoop on Tommy’s soundchecks (8:45)
- His set-up, preamp & monitor gear (12:05)
- Tommy’s #1 guitar lesson (13:35)
- Tommy is a drummer? (16:30)
- How do you pick the perfect guitar? (19:25)
That beautiful shirt has to help Tommy sound even better! He IS the total package.
Great interview, and pleasantly surprised to find out that such an incredible musician is so down to earth and entertaining. Lots of wisdom there.