The Gibson J-45 is one of the most iconic acoustic guitars in the world.
That’s why I decided to create a whole Acoustic Tuesday episode dedicated to the Gibson J-45. I’ll be covering a lot of ground in this episode, so make sure to watch the WHOLE video — trust me.
As always, you can watch Acoustic Tuesday at 10am every Tuesday in these four places:
- Acoustic Life YouTube channel
- We Play Every Day Facebook Community
- Get show notes emailed directly to your inbox.
- Listen to audio-only below or in iTunes
This week on Acoustic Tuesday
As I said earlier, this week is all about the Gibson J-45.
I figured it was high time that I have a dedicated J-45 episode…
- It’s an iconic guitar with TONS of history
- Tonally, the J-45 is rarely outmatched
- Aesthetically, it set the tone for future guitars
For these reasons and so many more, this episode is to help YOU appreciate and learn about the Gibson J-45.
5 Reasons Why You Should Own a Gibson J-45
I’ll briefly go over the 5 reasons why you need a Gibson J-45 if you don’t have time to catch the video.
- Sunburst finish — Sexy, eye-catching, and captivating.
- Scalelength — 24 3/4 inches is comfy, cozy, and gives a springy, warm tone.
- Tone — It’s Goldilock’s porridge that was just right: not too loud, not too quiet, not too bright, and not too dark.
- Price — Yes, they’re expensive, but compared to other guitars of the same quality, this guitar is rather affordable.
- Historic — The Gibson J-45 is a piece of American history.
“American Workhorse: A Documentary Film on the J-45”
This documentary on the Gibson J-45 was set to release this year, but we’re in the final days of 2019.
While guitars are typically just a part of a documentary, “American Workhorse” makes the J-45 the primary subject. I’m so excited to watch this documentary, and make sure to leave a comment if you’re excited!
If you’re curious about the history and political life of the J-45, you definitely want to check out and support this documentary.
I’m featuring Russ on Acoustic Tuesday this week for so many reasons. Besides his utilization of the Gibson J-45, Russ has some incredible melodies that are phenomenal.
Like, if Russ was a superhero, his power would be creating stellar melodies.
If you’re ready to get blown away by an incredible guitarist and acoustic artist, be sure to check out Russ Barenberg.
- Visit Russ on the web
- Buy Russ Barenberg’s albums
- St. Anne’s Reel played by Russ Barenberg, Jerry Douglas, and Aly Bain
- Russ Barenberg playing “Keep It Up/Prince Charlie”
- The tune “For JL” performed by Russ Barenberg and friends
5 Alternatives to the Gibson J-45
As much as I want everyone to have the opportunity to own a Gibson J-45, I recognize that not everyone likes Gibsons…or J-45s.
And that’s okay!
I’ve created a list of 5 alternatives to the Gibson J-45 — just in case you aren’t convinced you need one 😉
- Watch a review of this J-45 alternative here.
- Check out Trey Hensley playing his Bourgeois here.
- Don’t miss this review of the Collings CJ35.
- For an informative run-down, check out this review of an awesome J-45 alternative.
- Perhaps one of my favorite alternatives, you CANNOT pass-up this review of the Santa Cruz VS.
If you have any other suggestions for a Gibson J-45 alternative, let me know in the comments!
Until next week, keep on plucking and don’t forget to tell your friends about Acoustic Tuesday!
Sharing Link: https://tonypolecastro.com/get-acoustic-tuesday